Sunday, October 7, 2007
Exchange Information store
This articles gives you the breif introduction about the exchange information store. The Exchange Information store is the core are where all the information are stored. The Information Store is made up of a number of components as follows.
1. Mailbox Store - storage space for user's mailbox.
2. Public Store - storage space for public folder contents or mails.
Please find the diagram for the detailed components of exchange information store.
No of Storage groups:
1. Exchange 2000 any SP and 2003 Std pre SP2 - 1 SG + 1 RSG.
2. Exchange 2003 Std with SP2 - 1 SG + 1 RSG.
3. Exchange 2000 and 2003 Ent with SP2 - 4 SG + 1 RSG.
No of Stores:
1. Exchange 2000 any SP and 2003 Std pre SP2 - 1 Mailbox Store and 1 Public folder per Storage group.
2. Exchange 2003 Std with SP2 - 1 Mailbox Store and 1 Public folder per Storage group.
3. Exchange 2000 and 2003 Ent with SP2 - 5 Mailbox Store and 5 Public folder per Storage group.
Mailbox Store Size Details:
1. Exchange 2000 any SP and 2003 Std pre SP2 - 16 GB per store.
2. Exchange 2003 Std with SP2 - 75 GB per store.
3. Exchange 2000 and 2003 Ent with SP2 - 16TB per store.
How store size is calculated:
The store size is the sum of both the Exchange Server database (.EDB) and the Exchange Server streaming (.STM) files.
1. Priv1.edb: A rich-text database file containing message headers, message text, and standard attachments.
2. Priv1.stm: A streaming internet content file containing audio, video and other media that are formatted as streams of Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) data.
The mailbox store does not mount when the mailbox store database reaches the 16 GB limit. The resolution for this can done by temporarily adding extra 1 GB additional space. This can be done by adding some changes in the registry. Please follow the link for the step by step procedure of temporarily increase the limit by 1 GB.
Please mail me if you any further questions.