Hope, everyone are excited and waiting for the release of the exchange 2010. The below are some of the new features of the exchange 2010. I tried to put in simpler terms and have not described in detail, the idea is to have an overview of the exchange 2010 product. I have covered only the few important and major changes, apart from this there are still many other changes have been done. Please visit Microsoft site for more details.
1. DAG – Database Availability Group.
2. Improved Outlook Web Access called as outlook web app which has features like search options, favorites, attaching message to message, etc.
3. Edit option for user properties like username, telephone number in OWA.
4. ECP called Exchange control panel for organization level changes like user, group and distribution list creation/changes.
5. No More LCR and SCR clustering technology of exchange 2007 are removed and replaced by new Database Availability group.
6. Server Cluster failover technique also removed because still the so many system administrator are not comfortable in doing it. The Microsoft has come up with the effective and ease alternative for this.
7. No more storage groups term available in exchange 2010, so only database is the predominant one and other database files, transaction log and database type(JET) are same as of the exchange 2007.
8. SIS – Single Instance Storage is no longer available in exchange, means that traditional model has been changed. I.e. when you send a mail of 1 MB to 10 different recipients, the db potentially grows 10 MB. So obviously consumes for storage requirement but the performance on the database I/O has been improved drastically.
9. Database page file size has been increased from 4KB to 8KB, improving the I/O on the disk file system.
10. No more 32 bit processor support for testing also.
11. Microsoft is also gradually moving to the cloud technology. Microsoft Online Services helps to host the mailbox also. It can be 100% hosted or 100% in premise or can be also mixed environment.
12. Powershell V2 more powerful, also has a new feature called IDE Interactive Development Environment using which you can built a script and also run the output with the small output window. The option for remote management of exchange is also possible with Windows Remote Management, which is included with the Powershell V2.
13. Send mail GUI option available in the EMC for testing mail flow.
14. Active Directory Rights Management enables to have the control of the message after sending to the recipients like disabling the forward option of the confidential messages.
15. Cross premises routing is possible.
16. Enhanced disclaimer with HTML code, pictures, hyperlinks, etc is available.
17. In exchange 2007, after delivering the message from hub transport server to next hop, it will be deleted. The same in exchange 2010, the message will be deleted only after the successful receipt of the message from the next hop, in case of non-receipt, it will try to redeliver the message. This type reliable routing model is called as Shadow Redundancy Routing Model.
18. Role Based Access Model for implementing the permission for the administrative accounts.
19. Personnel archive folder option or can be called as Archive PST with all live mailbox.
20. Improved Unified messaging roles with some exciting new features like Voicemail preview, integration with SMS test message, additional language support, etc.
Hope the above is informative.
Logu_microsoft@hotmail.com | 971552596187